- The Exiled Realm of Arborea (also known as TERA) is a free-to-play MMORPG, massive multiplayer online rol played game, developed by Bluehole Studio. It was released in South Korea on January 25, 2011. However, it didn't appear in Europe until May 3, 2012.
- On the official website of the game is explained the story, which could be summarised like this:
Arun and SharaTwo omnipotent titans, Arun and Shara, fell asleep for no reason. Then they started to dream. They dreamed about a wonderful world full of peace and calm. When they woke up, they decided to create it. Although, it didn't turn out as they thought. The first beings to call TERA home were twelve godlike beings created by Arun, but it wasn't long before the gods started to fight.
- They fought for millennia, until they ended up killing the Titans. Now that the titans are gone, the seven races left (Amani, Barakas, Castanics, Elins, High Elves, Humans and Poporis) must cooperate to defeat a new enemy. A metallic race from the underworld called Argons; their goal is to take over TERA and destroy it.
The whole map of TERA.
- The map of TERA is huge. It is divided in two continents. If we take a closer look, we can suppose that the layout of the continents are the bodies of the titans. One feature that make this game different is that you can go anywhere on the map walking, with no need of load-screens or anything similar.Of course, you can also ride a pegasus to go faster
RACESTo play start playing, the first thing you need to choose is your race. As I told before, there are seven races left:
- Aman: The god-like creatures called Amani were proud and strong. But when the titans died, they were enslaved and deprived of his god's protection. If you like horns, sharp teeth and fighting for honor, this is the race for you
- Baraka: They are a noble and peacefull race, who always fight in the defense of the weak. They are giants in intellect as well as phisically
- Castanic: They are the typical dark race who would kill anyone without thinking. They are always involved in murders any other dirty-fighting actions, but they will work together to defend their culture.
- Elin: They are the divine children of the god Elinu, who protects them from all harm. But don't mistake their cute appereance, Elin generals are some of the world's most feared.
- High Elf: 100 years ago, the elves where actively at war with most of the world. Nowadays, they are focused in learning and cooperating to defeat the Argons.
- Human: They are optimistic, curious about the world and its story and are considered as the best diplomats and leaders. Humans are able to build communities and lead massive groups of people, but they don't have any type of magical god influence.
- Popori: The Popori kingdom is made up of animals imbued with divine energy. They are brave defenders of the natural order as well as being cute and kind.
Now that you have chosen youtr race, you should take some time to consider the next step, because it would affect you gameplay throughout the game. Let see what is available:
- Archer: It is a highly mobile, ranged dps (damage per second) class.The archer is able to use a wide range of attacks, dealing massive slow damage or less powerful but more continous damage. The archer skills poison, stun, trap and damage targets, giving its team an great advantage in ambushes.
- Berserker: Berserkers use charge-up attacks to deal massive damage, but they really slow. They can also block incoming frontal attacks.
- Lancer: They are heavily armored fighters which their goal is to receive all damage and adsorb it. That's why they are colloquially called tanks. They use heavy armor, a shield and a huge spear.
- Mystic: They are a strong support class with skills to protect and enhance their party members through buffs and auras. They also summon some creatures to help dealing damage.
- Priest: The priest is a magic user whose primary role is to restore health and vitality. They use cloth armor and a staff.
- Slayer: A lightly armored, agile fighter with a terrifying two-handed sword. high damage dealing combined with evasive maneuvers for an active combat style.
- Sorcerer: The sorcerer is another magic user focused on annihilating the enemy with powerful spells and undodgeable attacks. However, he is not so good resisting melee damage.warrior
- Warrior: Quick attacks and high mobility are essential for this two-sworded class. Althogh, you can make your warrior a tank like the lancer, but be prepared for a challenge.
- Reaper: The reapers are close- and mid-ranged fighters with light armor and two scythes. They are perfect chainnig attacks to deal massive damage.
TERA is a very innovative game, not just for the massive content it has. When it was released in South Korea it was the first MMORPG to use a non-target combat system. TERA's combat is based on you ability to aim to the right position or to dodge in time. It also has a worderful optimization.
The game uses the Unreal 2 Graphic Engine, it hasn't got any load screens, and it can hold up to 128 players in the same session. It also has a deep crafting, job system and character creation.
A wonderful game to kill some time, make friends have fun and learn English.