¨Lifting women up lifts up our economy and lifts up our country. We've got to make sure that somebody is standing up for them.¨ Barack Obama.
Ït's an ojective fact, that if you want to solve some of these huge, kind of bigger problems of extreme poverty, you have to include the women. They are the ones who will get it done.¨ Matt Damon.
¨Violence against women and girls is a global problem; it harms women, families, communities and societies. We can only stop it by working together. Women and men.¨ Ban Ki-Moon.It seems to me that the violence against women is not something that can be passed high. This campaign ensures that gender equality is fulfilled.
In HeForShe you can see a map of the world that shows you how many men have been committed.
In Spain: 3,617; EEUU: 57,287; UK: 26,360; Congo: 7; Leshoto: 5; Panama: 89; Sierra Leona: 4.
As you can see, there are a lot of people that have committed, but it isn't in all countries.
I have done an interview with Maria Dolores from 4ESO C and she has given me her view:
- What do you think about violence against women and not gender equality?
- It doesn't seems right to me because it doesn't apply the same human rights because of the sex, and it's an injustice to give more value to men, For me, gender violence is the same. Men think they are better, and it isn't right.
- Do you think that in our society you can find gender equality or men still thinking they need to have more rights?
- In many situations there are equalities but although there are people educated from childhood you can often hear comments for example in relationships such as 'what do you know, if you're female?' or 'go to scrub'. So, there are men that still thinking like women are not people.
- What's your opinion about the movements and the companies like HeForShe that tries to promote gender equality?
- I think that trying to make us see that we are all equal and their work seems to me great and with future. Thanks to these movements and companies many men and women are being sensitized.
- And finally, how long you think it will take to be all equals?
- I can't know that because it depends of the attitude of each person. But hopefully not take too long because it is a problem that needs to be removed.
Maria Dolores can't say an exact number, and she's right, because the attitud is very different in each person, but it will take long time, sadly.
I want to show you a youtube video of Emma Watson speaking in front of the United Nations about gender equality and trying very important issues that if you listen carefully it will reach your hearts and help many people to reflect on women and men.
Emma Watson speaking in front of the United Nations
MARÍA LÓPEZ VIGUERAS